Networking problems

Eduardo Huertas eduhuertas at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 20:50:32 PDT 2003

Hi Everybody,

I'm having conceptual problems, I think :-)

My objective is to install a firewall with OpenBSD
which will be the gateway of my LAN.

Right now I have a unique server with the following
services:
Gateway to Internet
mail: qmail and serialmail, fetchmail
DataBase: MySQL
SAMBA,
DNS, etc.

Well I thought I could install the OpenBSD(ip:X) box
with Packet Filter and be the LAN gateway.  It
connects via ISDN with PPP and runs NAT with Paquet
Filter.

I told the clients of the LAN that the DNS was still
my FreeBSD box(ip:Y) and the default router: X.  So
far so good, all my clients, including my FreeBSD box,
which granted Internet access by the NAT rule from the
OpenBSD box(ip:X) worked fine.

But then I realized there was a problem:
Because I'm using serialmail for sending outgoing mail
(not local) all the mails get stored in a directory
and each 5 minutes serialmail is called, but no mail
is sent, serialmail reports a network write problem.
I tried eliminating the virtualdomains and the mail
queue serviced by smtp directly and tried with my smtp
server, from my ISP but the queue was not serviced
because of timeouts.

What am I doing wrong? I disabled PF from the OpenBSD
box and still can't send mail.  Do I have to install
my DNS and/or mail server on the OBSD box which is the
gateway?

Thank you very much for your help and precious time.

Sorry about my English :-)

Any aclarations please ask.

-edu-