Changing to a PS/2 keyboard after install

Scott Mitchell scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org
Mon Jun 9 17:30:56 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 05:06:36PM -0700, Gary Schenk wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion, but that did not work. After rebooting not
> only did I not have a PS/2 keyboard, I no longer could plug in the USB
> keyboard.
>
> This is very perplexing. There must be a way to install a new keyboard.
> Reinstalling the OS is the Microsoft way, and I want to avoid that.
>
> Gary

As you've guessed already, you shouldn't have needed to do anything special
to get a PS/2 keyboard working.  A few things to try:

- Is the keyboard & port hardware actually OK?  Make sure you can at least
  use it to get into the machine's BIOS setup screens.  Note that PS/2
  keyboards shouldn't be hot-plugged -- you can easily kill the port doing
  that.  Try another keyboard if possible.

- Boot a GENERIC kernel.  It's got everything you need for both PS/2 and
  USB keyboards.  There should be no harm in having them both enabled.

- Post your /etc/rc.conf, /var/run/dmesg.boot and anything that looks
  relevant from /var/log/messages.  There may be a clue in there as to why
  the keyboard isn't working.

	Scott