RAID, Vinum and different disksizes

Mark Rowlands mark.rowlands at minmail.net
Mon Jun 9 10:58:29 PDT 2003

On Monday 09 June 2003 5:10 pm, freeBSD wrote:
> I have three 120GB disks and one 170GB disk. The first three is forming
> a raid-5 volume using Vinum and the last one is just fooling around
> without any purpose.
>
> Can I add this 170GB to the raid5 volume in any way at all? I do realise
> that I will loose 50Gb, but that's better than not using it at all.

from http://www.daemonnews.org/200002/vinum.html

"Like striped plexes, RAID-5 plexes must have equal-sized subdisks and cannot
currently be extended"

from http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/Future-directions.html

"Extending striped and RAID-5 plexes is a slow complicated operation, but it
is feasible."

I am prepared, and desperately hope to be corrected on this but as far as I am
aware it is only possible by backing up, recreating a new vinum configuration
and restoring.

As for losing 50gb I'll swap you a 120gb for the 170gb  ;-)