no mail

K Anderson freebsduser at attbi.com
Sun Jun 8 02:00:09 PDT 2003

Doron Shmaryahu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my messages keep getting rejected from freebsd mailing list with the details below:
>
> The original message was received at Sun, 8 Jun 2003 10:46:46 +0200 (SAST) from root at localhost
>
>    ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>     (reason: 550 Error: Message content rejected)

> ... while talking to mx1.freebsd.org.:

> <<< 550 Error: Message content rejected
> 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
>

> could anyone explain this to me ??
>
> doron at home.crc.co.za

Hmmm, I get these some times from my regular ISP at certain times of the
day. What it means is the service is unavailable. It could be anything.
A down email server, a down news server or a busy news or mail server.

You can confirm this the next time it happens by telnetting to the email
server in question and manually trying to send an email to it.

HTH