Graduate Info

grad.advisor at ee.pdx.edu grad.advisor at ee.pdx.edu
Sat Jun 7 04:13:26 PDT 2003

Dear Graduate Applicant,

Thank you for your interest in our graduate program at Portland State
University. Following is a brief summary of our departmental
requirements, as well as information concerning financial aid and other
commonly asked questions. After reviewing this information if you would
like us to send you application materials for admissions or have any
additional questions please e-mail us at grad.advisor at ee.pdx.edu
attention - Graduate Advisor, please include your mailing address.

ABOUT OUR ACADEMIC YEAR

Portland State University runs on a quarter system. Graduate classes
are taught in Fall, Winter and Spring. For most students of the University
admission is possible in any quarter of the year. However, most of our
course sequences begin in the fall or winter quarters, and those students
who arrive in spring or summer may not find suitable courses for their
study plans. We strongly advise applying for Fall & Winter quarters only.
If you decide to apply for admission Spring term be prepared to take graduate
classes in an area outside of Electrical Engineering.

DEPARTMENTAL AND UNIVERSITY ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS

Applicants who have completed a B.S. degree in either Electrical
or Computer Engineering at a recognized university with a grade
point average of 3.00 or better in all junior and senior level technical
courses may be considered for admission to the Department of Electrical
Engineering as regular graduate students. Students who have completed a
B.S. degree in a related field (normally either mathematics, physics,
computer science or mechanical engineering) or applicants with a B.S.
EE degree and a grade point average in their upper division technical
coursework below 3.00 but higher than 2.75 may be granted conditional
admission status.

In addition to the GPA and degree requirements, the department also
requires three letters of reccomendation and a statement of
purpose.

Also, foreign applicants must prove that they can support themselves for
one year before an I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant
Student Status) can be granted by the Admissions Office.  Currently this
level of support is US $19,650.  Without proof of finances (i.e. support) the
I-20 can not be issued.

TOEFL

By University standard international students are required to take TOEFL
and receive a score of 550 or higher.

GRE

The GRE is necessary for Ph.D. applicants. If you plan to apply to the
Masters program the GRE is not required.

APPLICATION DEADLINES

International Students

March 1st - Fall
July - 1st - Winter

Deadlines for Domestic Students

April 1st - Fall
September 1st - Winter
November 1st - Spring
February 1st - Summer

FINANCIAL AID

Assistantships

To apply for a teaching or research assistantship an applicant must be
a regular admitted student of our graduate program, maintain a GPA of 3.0 or
higher and be a student in good standing.

Teaching Assistantships are used to support the instructional programs in
the department. I regret to say we have too few teaching assistantships to
meet the needs of all students. Your chances will improve as you establish
strong GPA credentials in approved Electrical Engineering classes, but few
graduate students receive support during their first year.

To be considered for a research assistantship you must contact the
individual faculty members within your area of interest. Currently,
information about our Graduate Program and faculty can be found on
the World Wide Web our url is http://www.ee.pdx.edu.

OTHER FINANCIAL AID

US Citizens and residents may receive consideration for financial
assistance through the National Direct Student Loan, College Work
Study the Guaranteed Federal Insured Student Loan Program, and the
PLUS Program. More information can be obtained from the Portland
State University Financial Aid Office. Unfortunately there is no
financial assistance of this type available for International
Students.

Although currently Portland State University does not offer financial
support to incoming International students, you may wish to contact the
International Student Organizations. They may have some suggestions. You
can write them at: International Student Organizations, Portland State
University, P.O.Box 751, Portland, OR 97201-0751.