OpenOffice.org Linux binary works (was OpenOffice.org 1.0.2 and FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE)

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Thu Jun 5 13:51:53 PDT 2003

Doug Poland (doug at polands.org) [030601 01:18]:
> On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 01:00:33AM +1000, David Gerard wrote:

> > So. On the other box (FreeBSD 4.8), we've just installed OOo 1.0.2 from
> > ports. A few days' compilation from source. It, er, sort of works. It
> > starts up, but crashes when you try to save anything (dies with an internal
> > error).
> > The README claims it works with FreeBSD 4.5 and up, but I'll believe that
> > when I see it doing so.
> > What are others' experiences so far? Is there some undocumented hoop one
> > must jump through to get it to behave itself?

> I had been using linux binaries with success.  I've been trying to build
> native 1.0.3 but the build keeps failing.  I've never been able to compile
> any version of OO.org from source.

We just installed the Linux binary (as downloaded from openoffice.org) for
1.0.3, and it's working very nicely so far. Ran 'install' (which gave a lot
of errors) then 'setup', and it works fine. Ticked 'KDE integration' and it
even put itself into the KDE menus properly. I'm about to try it on the
4.6.2 box as well. I'll let you all know if that works too.

- d.