Strange PPPoE behaviour -- Need help to avoid fees

Adam blueeskimo at gmx.net
Thu Jun 5 13:14:32 PDT 2003

I just got a call from my ISP telling me that my DSL has been
disconnecting and reconnecting every 3 minutes for the past few months,
and that this is putting a heavy load on their servers. They're
considering charging me for all this extra bandwidth, as they're certain
that the problem is on my end.

I don't notice the disconnections here, but maybe the ppp process is
doing some weirdness that is transparent to me. Here's my ppp.conf:

default:
 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 ident user-ppp VERSION (built COMPILATIONDATE)

openweb:
 set authname xxxxxx at xxx.xxx
 set authkey xxxxxxxx
 set device PPPoE:dc0
 enable dns
 enable lqr
 add default HISADDR
 set dial
 set login
 set mru 1492
 set reconnect 3 6000

Does anyone see anything suspicious in my configuration that might be
causing the problem? I'm going to try switching my GNet modem with a
Daewoo, but I'm thinking that the problem probably lies in my ppp.conf
settings.

Thanks,
--
Adam <blueeskimo at gmx.net>