killing sendmail, using exim

Robert Storey y2kbug at ms25.hinet.net
Thu Jun 5 04:07:16 PDT 2003

Sendmail is the default MTA, but I have Exim installed and now would like that to be my mail server. I'd like to be able to kill Sendmail startup permanently, and have Exim start at boot time, but I'm not sure how to do this.

I did make an attempt. I edited /etc/rc.conf thus:

  sendmail_enable="NO"

and added a line saying

  exim_enable="YES"

This does not seem to have worked, as the "ps" command still reports the presence of Sendmail but nothing about Exim. I've checked to make sure Exim is installed:

  bob at sonic:~> which exim
  /usr/local/sbin/exim

I did a grep though the BSD FAQ and the handbook - both had only one sentence mentioning Exim, saying nothing other than it exists. "FreeBSD Unleashed" wasn't much more enlightening, so any advice will be appreciated.

TIA,
regards,
Robert