booteasy / syslog

Robert Storey y2kbug at ms25.hinet.net
Wed Jun 4 19:53:32 PDT 2003

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 00:31:03 +0100
Matthew Ryan <matt at overdose.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Does anybody know how i can configure booteasy not to remember the last
> choice i made. I would like it to default to one particular boot (XP in
> fact), so that my 5 year old does not occasionally find himself looking
> at a FreeBSD login prompt.
>
> Failing that, can anyone recommend an alternative boot manager.

GRUB is good. A very informative article about GRUB can be found here:

  http://www2.linuxjournal.com/lj-issues/issue85/4622.html

If you decide to use GRUB, you'll need a few lines in /boot/grub/menu.lst to load FBSD - the following is what I have:

  title FreeBSD
  root (hd0,1,a)
  kernel /boot/loader
  boot

Obviously, the second line will vary depending on which partition you've installed FBSD.

And if you've got Windows on the first partition:

  title Windows
	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
	chainloader +1

I suggest you download the GRUB boot floppy and experiment with that before deciding if you want to install it to your MBR.

hope this helps,
Robert