4.8 install

Daniel Bye dan at slightlystrange.org
Wed Jun 4 07:49:33 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 03:25:00PM +0100, Mark Redding wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone else reported problems when trying to install the 4.8-RELEASE
> version booting from floppy disks and then installing via passive ftp ? I
> tried it a number of time yesterday, each time the install returned 'write
> errors' soon into the "bin" extract, and when I checked using 'df' on the
> emergency shell, it had filled up the small memory disk rather than writing
> to the real disks mounted under /mnt/...

I've had similar problems to this in the past with various different
releases.  The only common factor in these failed installs has been that I
had to change settings (network, partitioning, labels, install options)
after starting the install.  And the only reliable way I have found to
correct it is to simply restart the install from scratch - it seems the
installer gets confused if you change any of its settings after the fact.

Not much help, I know, but at least you know someone else has had problems!