Locking down secondary mx sendmail

Ruben de Groot ruben at bzerk.org
Wed Jun 4 06:12:11 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 03:16:15PM -0700, Doug Silver typed:
> It seems the spammers like to target secondary mx machines and let those
> machines relay the email to the primary machine.  I've tried setting up the
> virtusertable file to at least reject invalid emails on the secondary mx
> machine, but it seems that sendmail bypasses that when it's doing mx relaying
> for that domain.  So, does anyone have some suggestions to partially lock
> down mx relay machines?

Do you have something like

VIRTUSER_DOMAIN_FILE(`/etc/mail/virtualdomains')

in your secondary mx machine's .mc file?
After that remake sendmail.cf and put the right domain names in
'/etc/mail/virtualdomains'

I haven't tried this but I think it should work.

greetings,
Ruben

> TIA
>
> -doug

Howe's Law:
	Everyone has a scheme that will not work.