How can I recover the password for root in FreeBSD 4.4

Jens Rehsack rehsack at liwing.de
Wed Jun 4 02:00:56 PDT 2003

On 6/4/2003 10:54 AM, Simon-Pierre Butsana wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Simon,

> I changed yesterday the password for root on my server because I found it too simple.

That is a good idea - even with the bad the side effects you expirience
now :-)

> Unfortunately I didn't write it and now I just can't remind it. I
still have access
> to an account belonging to the wheel group. Is there any means to
recover or to set
> a new password for root?

I don't think this will help. Best would be to set the machine in single
user mode, either by booting using 'boot -s' or using 'shutdown now'.
Please don't do this if you don't have physical access to console!!!!

If you're in single user mode, choose a shell you want to use. /bin/sh
is a good choice. After that, simply reset your password using passwd(1).

> I would appreciate any help on this.

Good luck,
Jens