dot.bashrc, where is it?

Didier Wiroth freebsd at mcesr.etat.lu
Tue Jun 3 07:04:47 PDT 2003

Hi,
Thanks, I know this isn't linux!

I'm asking because I'm reading "The Complete Freebsd, 4th Edition" book, at
page 94 "Changing the default shell for root" there is a comment:
"After installation, you may want to change the default shell... Bash... If
you have installed instant-workstation, you should copy the file
/usr/share/skel/dot.bashrc to root's home directroy and call..."

I had a look at the Makefile of the /usr/ports/misc/instant-workstation
port. I can't figure out where or how this file (dot.bashrc) could have been
installed from this port?! I have the bash2 shell pkg/port installed and in
my mind, this is the only port where the dot.bashrc file could be installed,
but this isn't obviously the case.

For a beginner (coming from a windows world) who doesn't know which shell is
better, sorry more adequate, it is easier to have a sample config file, to
start learning how to configure you shell!

Didier