4.8-STABLE /dev/null issue

Scott Kupferschmidt sk at isprime.com
Mon Jun 2 21:39:11 PDT 2003

Hello,

This may have been previously discussed, but I have yet to find a solution
yet so looking to find some guidance here.

I have a customer who has 2 servers, one is 4.8-RC and the other is
4.8-STABLE.  No problems have been noted on his server with 4.8-RC,
however the one running 4.8-STABLE seems to have some random /dev/null
permission changes and I'm stumped.

He runs a cron script (on both servers) and redirects the output to
/dev/null, and everytime he does it on the 4.8-STABLE the permissions
change from crw-rw-rw- to crw-r--r-- which is rather odd.  Anytime I 'echo
blah >/dev/null' just in a regular shell, nothing goes wrong, only when in
cron.

Errors reported in /var/log/maillog are something like this:

Jun  2 21:06:56 diamond sm-msp-queue[97747]: h5316uZO097747: disconnect:
open("/dev/null") failed: Permission denied

Also, cron reports similar: