DNS and natd

Derrick Ryalls ryallsd at datasphereweb.com
Mon Jun 2 17:05:23 PDT 2003

> > Alfonso Romero wrote:
> > > I´m using natd on a FreeBSD 4.8 box as a gateway, so my
> internal LAN
> > > can access Internet. I´ve configured a web server, but
> the local LAN
> machines
> > > can´t access the server by it´s domain name. If I setup my FreeBSD
> gateway to
> > > also act as a DNS server, are my local LAN machines going
> to be able
> > > to access my web server with www.ibacsoft.dynu.com, instead of
> > > 192.168.0.2?
> >
> > 10-bjork# nslookup www.ibacsoft.dynu.com
> > Name:    www.ibacsoft.dynu.com
> > Address:  200.67.41.134

I believe you would need to set up a DNS server and configure it to give
different results depending on the requesting ip.
For bind, I think the search term is "views".  There was a good
description of why this is so a while back, but I have
long since deleted it.  I don't think it will be too hard to set up, but
I haven't tried myself yet.  Hope this helps.

-Derrick