Necessary to Reconfigure New XFree86 If No Changes?

Bob Perry rperry4 at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 2 16:29:08 PDT 2003

Matthew Seaman wrote:

>On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 05:40:30PM -0400, Bob Perry wrote:
>

>>A while ago, I deinstalled XFree86-4.X and installed XFree86 3.X in
>>error.  Not sure of the version number of the original 4.X package, but
>>I'm currently running FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE and I installed XFree86-4.X
>>when I installed the operating system.  When I discovered the error, I
>>deinstalled the 3.X version (before configuring it) and then installed
>>the most recent XFree86-4.3.0,1.  I ran startx (without configuring
>>anything) and everything seemed fine.
>>

>Yes --- the XF86Config file you have now would have been automatically
>generated when you did the original system installation.  So long as
>you haven't changed your hardware you won't need to regenerate that
>file as you update to more recent versions of XFree86-4.x

You've just answered  my prayers.  I wanted to believe this but couldn't
readily locate anything to confirm.

>>Today, I installed a new mouse (two button w/wheel) but the wheel wasn't
>>functioning.  Someone had earlier requested help with a similar problem
>>and they were advised to edit their /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.  I don't
>>have a XF86Config-4 file, just a XF86Config file.  I've made more than
>>my share of bone-head moves with FreeBSD and I'm wondering now if should
>>have configured XFree86-4.3.0,1.  Is there an obvious way to tell?
>>

>Take a look at the XF86Config(5) man page.  There are a large number
>of variations on the config file name and a whole list of different
>places in the filesystem that X will search for it's configuration
>file.  In short, it doesn't matter if the file is called XF86Config-4
>or just plain XF86Config -- add the suggested edits to whichever one
>of those two you have.
>
>If X is working at all and you have a screen resolution and colour
>depth that suits you, then your XF86Config file needs no alteration.
>Take a look at /var/log/XFree.0.log -- it's fairly long, but the
>interesting point is the marker at the beginning of each line showing
>where each setting comes from.  X will try and probe your hardware to
>discover as much information about your system as it can, so in a
>sense the less you have to explicitly tell it in the XF86Config file
>the better.

I just did take the opportunity to review this file but was confused at
times.
It is obvious, however that X is doing much of the work for you.

>  Unfortunately one of the things that X can't detect
>entirely reliably is the layout of buttons, wheels etc. on the mouse.

I did find a website referenced in this section that explained in great
detail
how to configure my mouse:

> http://www.xfree86.org/current/mouse.html

Thanks so much for your help.