DNS and natd

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Jun 2 13:24:20 PDT 2003

Alfonso Romero wrote:
> I´m using natd on a FreeBSD 4.8 box as a gateway, so my internal LAN can
> access Internet. I´ve configured a web server, but the local LAN machines
> can´t access the server by it´s domain name. If I setup my FreeBSD gateway to
> also act as a DNS server, are my local LAN machines going to be able to
> access my web server with www.ibacsoft.dynu.com, instead of 192.168.0.2?

10-bjork# nslookup www.ibacsoft.dynu.com
Name:    www.ibacsoft.dynu.com
Address:  200.67.41.134

What happens when you do a "traceroute 200.67.41.134" from an internal
machine...does it get to the web server as you expect?

If the webserver is the same system as the NAT box, you'll have to add that IP
to the natd flags and maybe apache's config file, I believe...

-Chuck