Printing : "lptcontrol : open : device busy" on IBM Proprinter II

Matthieu Bonavita m.bonavita at free.fr
Mon Jun 2 06:33:47 PDT 2003

I want to use my old IBM ProprinterII (BW 9 (or 24?) pin printer) on my FreeBSD, essentially to print long pages of program codes (gaining some ink for my un*x-badly supported Lexmark 2030 JetPrinter).

I followed the handbook very carefully and properly (as always :) )
and at the dmesg , I get (I powered on my PC with the printer plugged) :

ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
ppc0: SMC-like chipset (ECP/EPP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/1 bytes threshold
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0

At first sight, everything seems normal.

But lptcontrol -* -d /dev/lpt0 always returns a :
lptcontrol: open: Device busy

lptest isnt working either.

Cables are OK (checked) Printer is OK (checked and renewed yesterday, after 5 years of no-use).

What am I missing ?

----
Matthieu Bonavita
GPG Key : http://membres.lycos.fr/almacinnis/pubkey.asc
Running on : FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE-p7 i386