What ASCII sequence is used to set xterm title?

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Mon Jun 2 05:05:02 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 02:17:12PM +0400 I heard the voice of
Sergey Akifyev, and lo! it spake thus:
> Hello!
>
> I just want to make shell prompt with changing gnome-terminal window
> title (to show host on which I'm sitting now). Does someone know how?

I use a script to set it when I login to a box with some silly config
like a prompt that sets it:
---
(ttyp1):{507}% cat ~/bin/xttitle
#!/bin/sh
printf "\033]0;${*}\007"
---

You should be able to work that sequence into wherever you want...

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net