Duplex printing with HP DeskJet 6122

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Sun Jun 1 09:12:29 PDT 2003

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003 19:36, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> We just got an HP DeskJet 6122 for printing Unix docs.  It comes with a
> duplexing unit, which works when driven by the supplied Windows driver.
>
> However, I'd really rather have this thing connected to my FreeBSD
> workstation.
>
> I've tried CUPS and LPRng, and neither of the two support this printer's
> duplexing feature out of the box.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Probably needs one or two PJL commands tacked on to the front of the print job
and one or two more at the end to cancel the duplex. Have a look for the PJL
commands supported by your printer -- try an HP web site -- and write a print
filter that can add in the commands either by the selection of a duplex queue
or by passing options to say LPRng with lpr -Z

Malcolm