Apache/1.3.28 will not bind to other port

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Jul 31 09:26:19 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 01:56:21PM +0000, Mark wrote:
> This is odd. Just compiled and installed Apache/1.3.28. So, I figure I play
> around with it a bit, untill I am sure I get it working properly. So, I
> added this to httpd.conf:
>
> #
> # Port: The port to which the standalone server listens. For
> # ports < 1023, you will need httpd to be run as root initially.
> #
>
> Port 90
>
> But it would not start, and the error log says:
>
> [Thu Jul 31 15:36:26 2003] [crit] (48)Address already in use: make_sock:
> could not bind to port 80
>
> Yes, I know this. :) That is why I set it to port 90 for the moment. Any one
> seeing something I dreadfully missed? I compiled, install and ran
> Apache/1.3.28 on the Vmware box first, where it works great. But on the real
> server, I want to test out a few things further first; hence, port 90.

The default httpd.conf contains a:

    Listen 80

directive, which will cause apache to bind to all available interfaces
and listen on port 80.  You probably need to change that.  In fact, I
believe that 'Listen' is nowadays preferred to the 'BindAddress' and
'Port' combo and that 'BindAddress' and 'Port' have been phased out in
apache 2.x

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way