Resolving domain names in KDE apps

Robert Froese froese at mtu.edu
Thu Jul 31 06:41:28 PDT 2003

Hello,

I'm a new FreeBSD user with a performance issue.  I've installed 5.1R and KDE.
I've also installed Phoenix from the ports collection. When I'm using
Konqueror or Phoenix to browse certain web sites they take forever to load.

It appears the problem is associated with resolving domain names.  While I
wait (minutes!) for a problematic page to load, Phoenix will report in the
notices bar at the bottom "Resolving host ...".  There's no CPU or network
bottleneck and the problem is reproducable in either browser with the same
web sites.  It seems also to relate to situations where one web page calls
another for part of the content (e.g., www.vancouversun.com tries to load
from ad.ca.doubleclick.net).

If I open up a shell window and ask FreeBSD to resolve the same domain names
with "host" they resolve instantly.  So the problem has something to do with
the way the package for KDE talks with BSD.

	...Robert

--
Robert Froese, RPF
Assistant Professor, Forest Biometrics