Strange dial-up related DNS problems

Barney Wolff barney at databus.com
Wed Jul 30 15:16:46 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 11:16:37PM +0200, Willie Viljoen wrote:

> When connected to their ISP, SAIX, the machine can ping any live internet IP
> and it can traceroute to anywhere, but, it can not talk to any DNS server.
> Any traffic to port 53 UDP simply seems to dissapear.

Sheer guess, but perhaps the PPP negotiation is giving them something
weird (eg, 127.0.0.1) as the nameserver address.  Have a look at
/etc/resolv.conf while they're connected and at the ppp log.

Have you tried dig @server.ip some.host?
Any internal firewall in place?  What do its logs/stats show?

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.