3ware Support Question

Robert Covell rcovell at rolet.com
Wed Jul 30 11:59:35 PDT 2003

Glenn Johnson wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 12:07:15PM -0500, Robert Covell wrote:
>

>>Peter Elsner wrote:
>>

>>>Have had no problems using the 6000/7000/8000 series of cards on 4.6
>>>to 4.8...  Have not tried 5.0/5.1
>>>
>>>Peter Elsner

>>So then I can assume that a 7506 IS a 7000 series?
>>
>>Just trying to make sure before I buy all the hardware.
>>

>According to the 3ware Web site, the 7506 uses a different firmware,
>driver, and utility series than the 7500 models.  I would not _assume_
>that it would work.
>
>Although there is someone who recently started working on the FreeBSD
>driver for 3ware cards (sorry, can not remember the name), 3ware does
>not support FreeBSD in any way.  I have a 7500-8 card and I have had
>firmware issues with it.  It turns out that I can not use the card for
>RAID1+0, which is what you said you wanted, because the array can not
>initialize after a drive failure in RAID1+0 mode.  I had to reconfigure
>my array as RAID-5.  That was not fun but it does work well in RAID-5
>mode.  That being said, I know there are other FreeBSD users who have
>successfully used a 7500 card for RAID1+0.  It depends on what hardware
>revision you get.
>
>I would strongly encourage you to buy the 7506 from a vendor that will
>allow you to easily return it should it not work under FreeBSD for you.

Ok, as much as I want to use 3ware it does not seem as if this card will
work out because I can't be certain it will support the requirements.
 Would anyone recommend another card that is fully supported for ide
raid and freebsd?  I have thought about adaptec, but from what I have
read on the list it is not the best.  I could be wrong.

-Bob

--

Sincerely,

Robert T. Covell