Where to put backup files - /var/backups? [Basic Directory Structure Question]

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.no-ip.com
Tue Jul 29 14:03:25 PDT 2003

"Richard Johannesson" <rtjohan at syspres.com> writes:

> I have a dedicated hard-drive to store dump files on a daily basis.
>
> Is there a typical mounting point in the FreeBSD directory structure that is
> generally used for backup images? At the moment using /backup, but noticed
> that there is a /var/backups directory created by sysinstall. Is this the
> typical place the backups are stored?

I'm not sure if there's a typical place, but that's not the reason for
/var/backups existing:  that directory is used by system maintenance
scripts for holding previous versions of a few specific critical files
(e.g., master.passwd).

I don't think of the directory location as all that important an
issue:  in my own backup scripts, I've always set it up as a tunable
variable, although I've never used it as anything other than the default.