Lost-Need Help on Ports, Packages, CVSup, and AnonCVS

Aaron Siegel aj at siegel-tech.net
Mon Jul 28 13:48:04 PDT 2003

On Sunday 27 July 2003 10:26 pm, Rommel B. Ikeda wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> I do not know if this is the right place to ask but since I am a Newbie I
> thought I should start looking for answers here and maybe move on to
> wherever you might be able to guide me...
>
> I am trying to configure my system that I can be able to input Japanese
> Characters in my system...
>
> I read in David Thiel's page
> (http://redundancy.redundancy.org/fbsd_japanese.html) on how to do
> things...in his page were instructions to compile files needed to
> accomplish my needs.
>
> I was able to compile "Canna" and "Eterm" using my Ports but when I tried
> to compile "kinput2-canna," there was an Error Code 1 and gave me advice to
> download the package and compile it...I downloaded the package but when I
> use pkg_add a warning said the it needs a "fontconfig.2.2.1" package as one
> of it's dependent...So I downloaded the said package and I tried to compile
> it...but it says that an older package "fontconfig.2.2.0" is already
> installed...when I tried to pkg_delete it...it said that it is needed by
> other programs so it can not be deleted...unfortunately this is the end of
> the line for me...I am afraid that I do not know what to do next...

I would recommend that you use portupgade. You can instal this by following
the steps below

	# cd  /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade
	# make install
	# make clean

The package portupgrade will allow you to upgrade a package  and dependencies
without have to uninstall the package. After portupgrade is installed use the
command:

	# portupgrade -R fontconfig

The -R will upgrade all dependent files along with fontconfig, you can also
add a -P option to download the package instead of compiling from source,
read the man page for more information. Now try the kinput2-canna start by
checking your all the dependent packages for kinput2-canna are up to date:
	 XFree86-libraries
	 expat
	 fontconfig
	 freetype2
	 imake
	 ja-Canna
	 pkgconfig
To do this type
	# portupgrade -v  |  less

This will list all the packages that are installed in you computer and how
they compare with the version that are in your ports collection. Now try to
install kinput2-canna:

	# portinstall -R kinput2-canna

If this does not work try posting the error message and a list of the packages
you have installed to freebsd-questions at freebesd.org (this list is for
technical question)

> With regards to CVSup and AnonCVS, I tried to use CVSup once but it seems
> to me that this is quite difficult for me at present...due to my little
> knowledge on everything or shall I say Unix...I have read in the Handbook
> that there is another option for me to get my ports updated...which is
> AnonCVS...I have not thoroughly read it yet but I have already decided to
> try it and if I get right I might move ahead in using CVSup in the
> future...

I shied away from useing cvsup myself, it is not that hard.  All you need is
one config file, lets call it ports-supfile a example is in
/usr/share/examples/cvsup.  below is the file that I use:

	*default tag=.
	*default host=cvsup5.FreeBSD.org
	*default prefix=/usr
	*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
	*default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress

 Of course find a server that is closest to you, and replace the default host
with that server.  I store this file in my /usr/local/etc/ports-supfile
directory To perform the cvsup type:

	# cvsup /usr/local/etc/ports-supfile

If you are running X a GUI will appear if not it will display information in
the terminal. After you upgrade the ports you will need to update your
package database type:

	# portsdb -uU

 There are more option this will get you started

Good Luck