Cannot install any port

Matthew Hunt mph at astro.caltech.edu
Mon Jul 28 12:22:30 PDT 2003

On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 12:27:03AM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:

> You sure?  Are you failing with this error:
>
>  ===>  Checking if portd/portname already installed
>  *** Error code 1
>
> This is almost certainly caused by an old pkg_info command that does
> not understand -O.  To disprove me:

As I've posted before, the problem is not always as simple as it's made
out to be.  When I upgraded to 4.8-STABLE, I still got that error.  It
was because of a corrupt directory in /var/pkg/db, which was causing
pkg_info -O to abort before finishing.  Running the failing "pkg_info -O
whatever" command by hand made the problem visible, and I deleted the
bad directory.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph at astro.caltech.edu> * Clearly there are more things in the
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           * heavens than anyone anticipated. -enp