FreeBSD5.1 Vinum Mirror root

Tillman tillman at seekingfire.com
Mon Jul 28 12:08:51 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 12:03:55AM -0700, Richard Johannesson wrote:
> Is there ever an advantage of having two slices for a drive when running
> just one copy of FreeBSD on there? So, let's say split the 200GB into two
> slices. First will have the standard partitions /, /var, /tmp, swap, /usr.
> Then have /data on 2nd slice. What's the disadvantage of doing this? How
> will this affect vinum - better or worse?

I don't think it'll affect vinum in any way, other than making it a bit
easier if you don't need / mirrored.

It will make backups much easier. Partitions sized to fit your backup
media can be very convenient :-)

It can also prevent problems, like /tmp or /var filling up your / and
causing havoc.

It can also cause problems if you incorrectly size things. Vinum's
ability to add new sub-disks to certain types of plexes combined with
growfs can be great for handling these sorts of situations.

-T

--
The knowledge of the ancients was perfect. How perfect? At first, they did not
know that there were things. This is the most perfect knowledge; nothing can