New Webserver with multiple drives

DP Support support at drasticproductions.com
Mon Jul 28 08:36:32 PDT 2003

Matthew,

That explains it perfectly!  However, let me throw this on the pile and let me have your opinion on it:

1) Hardware load balancing is an option (or so I found out from the people that built the server) .. Using ATA133 RAID.  Being this is an option, should I hardware LB or software LB?

2) Personally, I like the idea of having 400gbs available.  This server is a web / database / email / dns server.  However, I'm desperately trying to see this in a more advanced light than "WOW, 400 gigs! WOOHOO!" :)  That being said, is Raid 1 the best way to go?  If it slows down writes, will it be noticeable?  The one thing I DON'T want is noticeable speed lost.  Is the Raid becoming corrupt in Raid 0 a common thing? I generally don't add to servers, I buy new ones.. So when I outgrow this production machine, it will get demoted to something else and I'll buy a bigger better production server. (meaning the chances of me adding additional harddisks is unlikely)

3) Does it matter that I'm planning an offsite location?  Essentially, I'll backup all the web / email / db stuff to a server offsite.  Although my backup server isn't as big as my production server (right now), I don't have 400 gigs of crap. I figure when I've outgrown my backup server, I can simply replace it.

Many thanks for all your help.. It's greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,
Duane

*****
Duane A. Stark