/dev/psm0

Benjamin Walkenhorst krylon at gmx.net
Mon Jul 28 05:03:50 PDT 2003

On Monday, 28. July 2003 13:40, DJ Landreneau wrote:
> As the original poster of this thread I feel compelled to provide some more
> information.
>
> I am running FreeBSD 5.0 that I obtained through the FreeBSD Unleased book
> I purchased from Barnes & Noble.

> When I boot up FreeBSD and do ls -al on the /dev directory I do have
> busmouse or psm0 in the directory. Someone in an earlier reply to my post
> said this means that I do not have psm0 support in my kernel.

I take it you wanted to say "I do *NOT* have busmouse or psm0".
FreeBSD 5.x uses devfs, i.e. it creates device nodes automatically for
device-drivers present in the kernel. So if there is no /dev/psm0 this should
mean that there is no PS/2-Mouse-Support present in the kernel.

> Therefore, I am in the process of researching building a custom kernel that
> will include support for the PS/2 mouse.

If you haven't done so already, check the handbook
(/usr/share/doc/<language>/books/handbook).
You should also check /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC and build your custom
kernel file from that. Copy GENERIC to a new filename and edit, remove all
the stuff you don't need (SCSI, probably, among others), add stuff you do
need...

> I must admit that I am rather surprised that an advanced OS such as FreeBSD
> does not include support for PS/2 in its generic configuration.

I use FreeBSD 5.0 with a PS/2 mouse on my machine, and the mouse worked
happily from the first moment on. I don't think this is a problem with the
PS/2-driver.
I understand there is a website on using FreeBSD on laptops. Maybe you should
google for that, and maybe ask Sony, as well, if they have some experience
regarding FreeBSD (or some other BSD) on the model you are using.
There also was a website about using UNIX and UNIX-like systems on laptops,
www.mobilix.org; unfortunately, the website is not available due to copyright
reasons, but there is an eMail-link to the site's owner. Maybe he can give
you a hint, as well.

Kind regards,

Benjamin

- --