imapd for squirrelmail is not found

Tim Kellers timothyk at wallnet.com
Sat Jul 26 17:37:11 PDT 2003

On Saturday 26 July 2003 07:58 pm, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 16:43, David Banning wrote:

> > > Smart-aleck answer: "Why, imap!"
> > >
> > > Anyway, how did you install Squirrelmail?  Manually or via ports?
> > >
> > > Do you have an IMAP daemon installed?
> >
> > No. I am in the process of installing Cyrus-imapd but it seems very
> > complicated. Especially when you consider openwebmail just installs
> > and runs, without out any imap requirement, seemingly.
> >
> > Is there anyway around this long and complicated syrus imap install?
> > Maybe a smaller simpler one?
>
> While I may get flamed for this, I use uw-imap, and it works quite well
> for me.  It's extremely simple to install and setup
> (/usr/ports/mail/imap-uw).
>
> Joe

I also have uw-imap installed on one of my student servers.  It's configured
to allow only imaps and pop3s connections, supports imp and squirrelmail just
fine.  And compared to cyrus (which is a terrific imapd/pop3d server) it is a
snap to install/configure.

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT
http://www.njit.edu/publicinfo/newsroom/beastie.php