Unable to open /dev/io

Mark admin at asarian-host.net
Sat Jul 26 14:49:06 PDT 2003

Earlier, I had asked a question on how to write a byte to the parallel port.
And Daan Vreeken was kind enough to point me to a litle c-source that uses
/dev/io.

Unfortunately, as I just found out, when I raise kern.securelevel to 2
(FreeBSD 4.7R), I can no longer open /dev/io for writing. :( That means I
can no longer use this method; because there is no way I will allow my
production server to run at kern.securelevel lower than 2. Which means I am
back to square one. :(

Sigh. Is there then no way to write a simple 0 or 1 to the parallel port,
without compromizing the security of the server at large?

Thanks,

- Mark