Cannot install any port

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Fri Jul 25 22:25:28 PDT 2003

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, Leonardo Lazarte wrote:

> Dear Tom,
>
>    Unfortunately you have found a problem which those
> in the know prefer to ignore.

This is not true.  Patches to fix this problem are currently being tested
on the ports build cluster.  I am also testing an alternate set of
patches.

>    The ports system has been broken with the last
> upgrade, and many of us which have found the same
> problem could not find a solution.

Only for older versions of FreeBSD.  FreeBSD 4.7 and greater do not have
this problem.

>    It has been suggested by some that you could copy
> pkg_info from some newer version. Other person suggested
> re-building pkg_install (in fact, it was incorrectly
> suggested to build pkg_info), after cvsuping src.

Assuming that was done correctly, it should have worked.  You would have
needed to cvsup a version of pkg_install that had -O support for pkg_info.

>    I tried both, with no luck.
>
>    I will go the hard way, re-installing the system, with
> a new version.

There are other options that were enumerated on this list as well as
ports at .  You could have reverted bsd.port.mk to an earlier version where
pkg_info -O was not used.

Joe