Host name for sendmail.

Constantine cnst at rbcmail.ru
Fri Jul 25 19:32:50 PDT 2003

Olaf Hoyer wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Constantine wrote:
>

>>>Ok, you should in those cases register with a freemail-service, or any
>>>other independent mail-provider, which gives you the possibility to:
>>>
>>>a) Identify yourself with SMTP-Auth with his server
>>>b) and send mails with any from: address
>>>

>>>In the FreeBSD-handbook there is a chapter for using sendmail with
>>>SMTP-Auth as a client, shall work then.
>>>
>>>Olaf
>>>

>>Okay, that seems to be too complicated to do, and my idea is not to use
>>any third-party smtp-servers...
>>
>>The provider is Earthlink DSL, and the problem I was having, is that
>>some mail-servers in Russia do not want to accept any mail from one of
>>the Earthlinks' smtp-servers (207.217.120.122).
>>
>>The IP-address of my modem (the address of the FreeBSD box visible to
>>the internet) stays constant usually within a week or so, so I believe
>>there should be some more neat solutions for the problem...
>>

>Hi!
>
>Well, the IP 207.217.120.122 is not in rbl Lists, as I checked it
>quickly, so there must be another problem.
>
>Do you have a copy of those messages, resp. the mailerdeamon?
>

>When its a private IP, then it is regardless of being several minutes or
>a week, because the remote system only sees the public IP of the
>system...
>
>Olaf

The message was

  address at domain
    SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM:<myaddress at mydomain>:
    host rusonyx.ru [212.24.38.14]: 550 5.7.1 Mail from 207.217.120.122 refused by blackhole site work.drbl.rusonyx.ru

It is some Russian spam-list, and since the server we are talking about is Earthlinks' server in the US, nobody really cares about it... The web-site of drbl can be found at http://www.drbl.ofisp.org/eng/

Indeed, my private ips stay the same all the time, it is the public ip
that changes from week to week.

Cheers,
Constantine.