Host name for sendmail.

Olaf Hoyer ohoyer at gaff.hhhr.ision.net
Fri Jul 25 16:19:09 PDT 2003

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Constantine wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a FreeBSD 4.8 box, I run it for my local small home network  I
> use it as a router. My DSL-modem has a NAT feature, and FreeBSD does not
> have any routable ip-address, only the modem does.
>
> My sendmail always complains about the domain name every time I start my
> FreeBSD, and the system is hanging for 2 minutes, until the sendmail
> finally starts. What I want to do, is to keep my own sendmail (I use it
> as my smtp-server), but I do not want the system to wait 2 minutes until
> the sendmail starts. What can I do?

Hi!

Well, do the following:

in /etc/hosts, enter your domain name.

then, edit the file: /etc/mail/service.switch (or the corresponding file
location defined in sendmail.cf) with the values :
files dns

to make sendmail first look in /etc/hosts and then try to resolve via
DNS.

Alternatively, in sendmail.cf there is the option to specify the own
host name in case sendmail cannot determine it automagically.

BTW: sendmail wants some FQDN, like cnts.local or something. Missing
dots are iritating to sendmail.

HTH
Olaf

Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer at gaff.hhhr.ision.net
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,
ob der, welcher sie erlebt, nicht etwas Fuerchterliches ist.
(Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Boese)