Laptop keyboard maps wrong keys during install

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Fri Jul 25 13:44:42 PDT 2003

I'm attempting to install 4.8 on an old IBM 340CSE laptop.  I'm running into
a roadblock, though: although the keyboard works fine all the way through
the kernel configuration part at the beginning (moving around with arrow
keys, deleting modules, saving, etc.), the keymap seems to get corrupted as
soon as I get to the main menu.  That is, most keys don't work at all.  I
*think* that pressing "J" actually gets "Enter".  "K" gets "X" (I think).
No keycode seems to correspond to the key actually being pressed.

Again, the keyboard works perfectly *before* getting to the main menu, and
I've had Linux installed and running on it with no apparent idiosyncracies
before.  Any ideas of what might be going wrong?
--
Kirk Strauser