DVD/CD-RW not recognized (was: Re:)

Fierman fierman at puscii.nl
Fri Jul 25 11:24:04 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 16:48, Joshua Lokken wrote:

> > this problem sounds like the exact one as i am having, (see
> > my mail to
> > this list:
> >
> >                           Subject:
> > ATA identify retries exceeded
> > (still!)
> >                              Date:
> > 24 Jul 2003 23:59:57 +0000
> >

> > jumpersettings are all ok, no possible signs of hardware
> > itself being faulty.
> > dmesg :
>
> > ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
> > ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
> > ata0-slave: ATA identify retries exceeded
> > ad0: 38172MB <MAXTOR 6L040J2> [77557/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33
> > Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
>

> ???  Except that the board won't detect it?  I think, if you've
> checked
> cables and jumpers (and they're proper), that the likely possibility
> is
> hardware damage.  I don't know whether or not the drive is new, but
> new certainly doesn't equal good.  Maybe at least consider it.  If you
> can find another drive to test, try that.  HTH,
>
> Joshua

dont know if you didn't send this mail to the list intentionally, but
thanx for the reply anyway :)

yes, like I said in my previous mail to this list as well, I DID try
other DVD players.. all with the same result. Also, the POST never gives
any error message, as I suppose it should do with broken hardware.

there are 2 possible solutions in my mind:
1. ATA driver is still somewhat broken,
2. There should be a way to adjust the time-out in the authentification
routine in the ATA driver (if there is any, that is).

cheers, Fierman