trouble installing

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.no-ip.com
Fri Jul 25 11:03:39 PDT 2003

Ted Unangst <tedu at zeitbombe.org> writes:

> I tried to install FreeBSD 5.1 today, and ran into several issues.

Please bear in mind that it is a bleeding-edge release.
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.1R/early-adopter.html

> 1.  why do i need to create a swap partition?  (i can deal with it, just a
> little extra aggravation.)

You shouldn't need to; certainly I don't remember needing to on
earlier releases, although it will go "boom" pretty decisively if the
install does run out of virtual memory.

> 2.  why does sysinstall pick disklabel values that clearly can't work?

Those are the values that typically do work...

> 3.  why is there no /dev/ad0s2b node?  how do i create it, since i
> need a swap partition?

That's in the partitioning step.

> 4.  what do i enter into the file system box?  the DOS partition isn't
> mounted, and i have no idea how to mount it.

Hmm.  I don't have a system I can currently use to play with 5.x, so I
can't really tell...