What version of BSD should I use

David Benfell co at trek.parts-unknown.org
Fri Jul 25 10:44:55 PDT 2003

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 19:06:50 +0200, Peter Rosa wrote:
> Well, but what about djbdns ?
> Is it fully compatible with BIND ?
> I think it is, as you use it :-)
> I have never heard about it.

djbdns does two things which may be of interest to you:

1) It is a secure, rock-solid alternative to BIND, able to offer DNS
pretty much like BIND does, conforming pretty much to Internet
standards, just as BIND pretty much conforms to Internet standards.
I didn't see this function on your list of requirements.

2) It offers name service cacheing, as a secure rock-solid alternative
to named.  It works fine with Internet standard name servers.

It does other things as well.  A starting place for more information
would be http://www.djbdns.org/

Speaking a little bit about Dan Bernstein and safety and security:
There are lots of people who disagree with Dan.  Very few, if any,
have broken his security scheme.  I have used his software for quite
some time and found it to be reliable and efficient.

I also prefer the configuration model -- it suits my style.  And style
is a key word here, because I also know people who find Dan's
configuration styles impenetrable.

In my case, I found BIND impenetrable.

So the configuration argument is about style and what your admins will
be comfortable with.

A thornier issue is one of licensing.  Dan Bernstein offers his
software and the source for free.  He limits the distribution of
binaries and does not allow modified versions to be distributed
without his approval.  Therefore most distributions (Linux and BSD) do
not include it.

> And what should I do with my new book
> (900 pages about configuring this mega program) ?

900 pages about configuring which mega program?

--
David Benfell, LCP
benfell at parts-unknown.org
---