I want using FreeBSD, but...

Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg listsub at 401.cx
Fri Jul 25 05:16:02 PDT 2003

Rissland, Thorsten wrote:

>...i'm a christian.
>
>Why is the Logo of FreeBSD an devil????
>What have an oparating System to do with the devil????
>
>Of course, there is something like daemon's (under Windows called services)
>but this is not the meaning of deamon!!!
>
>I think the meaning of daemon is
>
>d=disk
>a=and
>e=?  (i don't know)
>mon=monotoring
>

>So what has this to with an Deamon???
>

>Please answer me.

This is explained at the FreeBSD website at
http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/daemon.html
The symbolic refers to "daemon", not deamon, and it has nothing to do
with satan, the devil, evil powers or anything even remotely religious.

 From the FreeBSD website:

"`Daemon'' is actually a much older form of ``demon''; daemons have no
particular bias towards good or evil, but rather serve to help define a
person's character or personality. The ancient Greeks' concept of a
``personal daemon'' was similar to the modern concept of a ``guardian
angel'' --- ``eudaemonia'' is the state of being helped or protected by
a kindly spirit. "

I hope this helps, freebsd is really a great operating system and I hope
you wont let religion or politics stop you from using it.