Defragment HDD

Micheal Patterson micheal at cancercare.net
Fri Jul 25 01:00:16 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Rosa" <prosa at pro.sk>
To: <freebsd at celestial.com>
Cc: "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2003 2:03 AM
Subject: Re: Defragment HDD

> SORRY, SORRY AND ONE MORE SORRY.
>
> I love FBSD very much, but it really writes (during boot-up) something
about
> fragmentation.
> So I forgot about its professionality and so for a moment and write my
> stupid question to the list.
> At least, everyone will now know...
>
> Sincerelly
>
> Peter Rosa

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I don't think it's a stupid
question at all. I've just never worried about the fragmentation that fsck
reports on system start. However, unless there's a way that I'm unfamiliar
with, the only way to defragment the file system is to back it up with tar,
and then newfs the drive/partition, and untar the archive back.  Knowing my
luck, there's probably a much easier way to do it.

--

Micheal Patterson
Network Administration