sysinstall doesnot recognize kde install

Vulpes Velox kitbsdlists at HotPOP.com
Thu Jul 24 23:00:55 PDT 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:24:39 -0800
Torben Brosten <torben at kappacorp.com> wrote:

> I've cvsup'd ports
>
> then
>
> for /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4 did make install clean  with no errors.
> Then configured XF86 using /stand/sysinstall's XFree86 tty config process.
> startx shows the basic terminal windows with blue trim as aspected.
>
> Then I followed it with
>
> make install clean for /usr/ports/x11/kde3
>
> 'startx' and /stand/sysinstall doesn't recognize the kde3 install. 'startx'
> continues to show the generic xfree86 windows environment. sysinstall asks
> where
>   I want to get kde3 from (ftp etc.).  I'd go through the ftp download etc.
> again, but can't get pass the options menu, as I haven't been able to
> determine the correct  release label to use for 4-STABLE.
>
> 1. How to get sysinstall or xfree to recognize kde3 is installed?

It is not the job of make install to guess what users want to use kde... it
requires a user to edit ~/.xinitrc

> 2. What release label should I use for sysinstall's option menu, so that it
> can re-download kde3?

do a man on xinit and and don't bother with sysinstall