samba(2.2.8) printer server (on 4.8-RELEASE)

P. U. Kruppa root at pukruppa.de
Thu Jul 24 08:14:54 PDT 2003

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Andrew Stuart wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 at 07:58:05 +0200, P. U. Kruppa wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > I am trying to set up a printer server
> > (SAMBA 2.2.8 package on 4.8 -RELEASE, printer is a Kyocera
> > FS-3700+ laser printer) which should be accessible from Win2000
> > and WinNT4 workstations _without_ any authentication.
> >
> > These are the steps I have taken so far:
> >
> > 1. I used apsfilter to make the kyocera work locally as a
> >    postscript-printer called lp .
> > 2. (Sorry - stupid me forgot to bring home a copy of smb.cfg over
> >     the weekend)
> >    I edited smb.cfg so that the printer-server and lp itself can
> >    be seen in Windows' network enviroment, i.e. I set
> >    security = share
> >    and put up a share called
> >    [printers]
> >      browseable = yes
> >      path = /var/spool/lpd/lp
> >      read only = yes
> >      printable = yes
> >      guest ok = yes
> >    and I
> >    # chmod -R 4777 /var/spool/lpd/lp
> > 3. I used windows' printer setup to install the kyocera driver
> >    for lp
> > 4. When I try to print something, everything looks fine from the
> >    client side and I can see some blinking of the
> >    printer-server's LED's but nothing more happens.
> >    The windows printer queue stays empty, no files are created in
> >    /var/spool/lpd/lp
> >
> > Any ideas, what could be done next?
>
> did you let samba compile with cups support? (its set by default)
>
> If so, rebuild samba checking the box for nocups "without CUPS"
>
> and try printing again, most likely it will work perfectly.
>
> There appears to be a bug in the way samba handles the cups support, my
> guess is it defaults the print/lprm/lppause/lpresume commands
> differently then it does when you specify nocups.
Andrew,

thanks for your answer,
it took me some time to recompile samba on a P75 without cups.
But the problem remains. Still I can see the documents arriving
in Windows' printing queue, but they aren't printed.
Do I perhaps have to produce a machine account for the printer
server in the Windows domain?
I am asking this, because in my mini home network, printing to
samba works fine, but there my samba-machine also acts as Primary
Domain Controller.
Or - I configured the printer as Postscript printer: Perhaps
Windows cannot deal with that?
Or - is there any way to analyse the problem - looking at
log-files p. ex. ?

Regards,

Uli.