System hack ?!

Peter Rosa prosa at pro.sk
Wed Jul 23 22:46:56 PDT 2003

Greetings to every FreeBSD fan.

Is anybody out there who can help me with this problem ?

I have FreeBSD 4.3 acting as a gateway to I-net and mailserver. In /etc/periodic are standard scripts, which send statistics to roots's mail every morning. Dated from April 24, 2003, 04:03 AM (standard time, when these scripts are running) there ara comming lines as follows:

Checking for passwordless accounts:
[: 0: unexpected operator

The bad one is only the second line (unexpected operator), because till April 19 all worked well.

Can you tell me, why it started from April 20, and what goes wrong ? I think, it is an error of awk or sed, but I checked their access/modified dates, and they seem to be the same as the rest of system. I think the hack is probably not the problem (?!?!?!). May be it is some automated actualisation, but I should know about it, don't I ?

Please help if you can.

Peter Rosa