Installing FreeBSD onto Vinum-volumes?

Eivind Olsen eivind at aminor.no
Wed Jul 23 06:50:52 PDT 2003

Hello.

I'm about to install a new machine which will have 2 IDE-disks. I'd like to
mirror some volumes between those disks while other volumes should be
striped.
I'd like to do this with FreeBSD 5.1.

There's no data on the disks that I want/have to keep. Is it at all
possible to configure Vinum and then install FreeBSD or will I have to
install FreeBSD first and then "convert" to Vinum-volumes by manually
editing the disklabel (with bsdlabel), calculating offsets etc.?

In other words, is there an easy way to do this? :)

(I already tried installing FreeBSD and then "converting" to Vinum but
failed miserably and am now looking for an easy way out.)

--
Eivind Olsen
eivind at aminor.no