SMC - 2402W wireless PCI ethernet card

Scott Mitchell scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org
Wed Jul 23 04:01:28 PDT 2003

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 10:52:51PM +0300, Alin-Adrian Anton wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> anyone knows if this "*SMC - 2402W" *is supported by FreeBSD? I am going
> to buy 2 x wireless cards. If any other are better supported or one
> knows that they work well, please tell me, so I can buy the right one.
>
> Thanks for all,
>
> Alin.

Hi Alin,

I'm pretty sure the answer is no... The wi(4) driver supports most cards
with common 802.11b chipsets, but this device provides some nonstandard
22Mbps mode with a TI chipset that I doubt is supported in FreeBSD.

The wi(4) manpage contains a reasonable list of supported chipsets and
cards, although some of these are probably hard to find these days.

Cheers,

	Scott