Mozilla and long time in resolving Hostnames

Mica Telodico maria_libera2000 at yahoo.it
Tue Jul 22 15:06:24 PDT 2003

 --- Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk>
ha scritto: > On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 08:41:02PM
+0200, Mica
> Telodico wrote:
> > Hi all , I've just installed FreeBSD 4.8 .
> >
> > I've configured a PPPoE connection , and I've
> > installed Mozilla for browsing internet , but it
> takes
> > very long time in resolving Host names.
> > For example , if I open mozilla and I try to go to
> > "www.google.com" it writes : "Resolving host
> > www.google.com ......" And remains in this state
> for
> > 2-3 minutes (very long time) , then it opens the
> > requested page , and all the pages provided by the
> > same Host opens quick as normal , but if I change
> host
> > (for example www.yahoo.com) the problem comes
> again.
> > I've tried with galeon too , and with mozilla 1.2
> ,
> > but nothing changes. Links , Lynx, and Opera for
> Linux
> > works correctly (and now I'm writing from Opera )
> ,
> > why Mozilla doesn't ? What can be the motivation ?
> > Thanks
>
> Sounds like a classic case of misconfigured DNS.
> Double check your
> /etc/resolv.conf -- it's quite likely that the first
> nameserver entry
> is incorrect.  Maybe more than one is incorrect,
> given how long it
> takes to come up with an answer.
>
> Alternately, it might be a problem to do with IPv6
> DNS lookups.
> Mozilla does these by default (as properly
> configured applications are
> meant to do now-a-days).  However, and despite the
> fact that the RFCs
> defining the AAAA resource record were published
> nearly 10 years ago,
> there are any number of broken DNS servers out there
> which simply
> *won't reply* to an AAAA request.  The resolver on
> your system can do
> nothing except wait until the request times out,
> which takes several
> minutes.  Note: in this case it isn't Google's
> nameservers, as they
> return practically instantaneously with the correct
> response that
> there isn't a AAAA address for www.google.com.
> Similarly for Yahoo.
> Many purveyors of advertising however seem to use
> broken nameservers,
> and that can consequently block loading of many web
> pages.
>
> Seeing as it's Mozilla you're using, just blocking
> images from the
> offending servers will enhance your web browsing
> experience.
> Unfortunately, about the only sure way to be sure of
> never running
> into this is to recompile your system without IPv6
> support in the
> kernel.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew
>
> --
> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.
> [...]

Ehi, u were right!!

I've disablited INET6 support in the kernel and now
Mozilla works perfectly!!!

But, what are the disadvantages? What I have
lost?FreeBSD 5.1 have this problem too , and.... this
is a problem or whatever else?
Thanks

Marcello