Need example of accessing MS Access via perl on FreeBSD

stan stanb at panix.com
Tue Jul 22 11:15:22 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 11:47:25AM -0400, stan wrote:
> I need to get some information that is stored on a windows amchine, in an
> Access "database" via a perl script with FreeBSD.
>
> I'v installed teh DBI::ODBC port. I've alos got working code that accesses
> a remote Oracle instance using Perl's DBD::Oracle. I've got access to a
> person who has admin access on the remote windows box, but is not really
> understanding what I'm trying to do.
>
> A sample snipet of working code would be a wonderful thing.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> It _appears_ that in addition to DBD and DBI::Oralce, I may need a "ODBC
> manager", and an "ODB driver". Is this correct? If so where can I get them?

I thought I'd  follow up with a bit more progress on this, in the hpe that
some helpful soul will come to my aid.

I found thta id I run iodbc-odbctest _as root_ it does not exit imediatl. I
still don;t know why this is, but for the moent I thoguht I'd plunge ahead.
So my odbc.ini file _now looks like this:

;
;  odbc.ini
;
[ODBC Data Sources]
OpenLink = OpenLink (MT)
Test = Test

[OpenLink]
Driver          = /usr/local/lib/libiodbc.so
Description     = Sample OpenLink MT DSN
Host            = localhost
ServerType      = Oracle 8
FetchBufferSize = 99
UserName        =
Password        =
Database        =
ServerOptions   =
ConnectOptions  =
Options         =
ReadOnly        = no

[Test]
Driver          = /usr/local/lib/libiodbc.so
Description     = Test
Host            = localhost
Server          = xxx.xxx.xxx.xx
ServerType      = Odbc
DataBase        = AlarmHist062203
UserName        =
Password        =
Database        =
ServerOptions   =
ConnectOptions  =
Options         =
ReadOnly        = no

[Default]
Driver = /usr/local/lib/libiodbc.so

Obviouslu with a real IP address.

Now her's what I get:

pm1al# iodbc-odbctest
iODBC Demonstration program
This program shows an interactive SQL processor

Enter ODBC connect string (? shows list): ?

DSN                            | Description
OpenLink                       | OpenLink (MT)
Test                           | Test

Enter ODBC connect string (? shows list): Test
[iODBC][Driver Manager]Dialog failed, SQLSTATE=IM008

So what am I doing wrong here?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin