/usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4/make install, err code 1

Torben Brosten torben at kappacorp.com
Tue Jul 22 00:19:18 PDT 2003

> I'm trying to install x11 and kde.
>
> uname -a
> FreeBSD huey.localhost 4.8-STABLE FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE #0: Mon Jul 14
> 07:55:43 PDT
> 2003  root at huey.localhost:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HUEY i386
>
> background:
>
> The system was loaded via CD as a 4.6-release, and then was successfully
> cvsup'd
> and make/install world/kernel to 4.8-stable via ftp.
>
> I first tried using /stand/sysinstall to install the ports, but decided
> to try
> cvsup after it couldn't find the distribution tree. I've tried
> variations of
> 4.8-stable in the options area without success.
>
> then, I used pkg_add -r /usr/ports/x11/kde (and a few other packages)
> #I know pkg_add to be a mistake now. That's not how to do it =(
>
> then:
> cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile #generic ports-supfile with different mirror
> I think the new source has been loaded.
>
> got some error 1 codes where error message suggested to 'make deinstall'
> 'make
> reinstall', so did the following:
>
> cd /usr/ports
> make clean
> make deinstall
> #all seemed to work without errors
>
> next did:
> cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4
> make reinstall
>
> after about 5 minutes of compiling, am getting a series of '*** Error
> code 1'
> apparently starting with:
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/X11R6/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: Undefined
> symbol
> "FT_Get_PS_Font_Info"
> *** Error code 1
>
> questions:
>
> Is there a way to fix this without having to resort to installing ports
> from
> scratch?
>
> If not, how can I get a clean ports to work? Just cd /usr/ports, rm -r
> *, then
> cvsup ports-file again, or ?

Here's what seems to work (in case anyone else is interested).

I went into the dir that contains installed packages and deleted the packages

cd /var/db/pkg
pkg_delete *

then downloaded cvsup-without-gui and updated port sources with cvsup, then:

cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4
make
make install

so far, it seems to be working.... It may take a day or so to know for certain...

cheers