RELENG_5 ?

Matthew Graybosch matthew at starbreaker.net
Mon Jul 21 15:44:51 PDT 2003

On Monday 21 July 2003 06:18 pm, David Rio wrote:

> If I am not wrong with this, what will be the reason to install 5.1
> instead 4.8? I mean, 5.1 has more features but a worst performace
> that 4.8. On the other hand, there is no -STABLE branch of 5.1 so
> the only way to keep you system up to date is follow the -CURRENT
> branch which is a little agresive in my case.

Did you tune your installation? I found that after enabling SSE in my
kernel and modifying /boot/loader.conf to enable DMA on IDE and ATAPI
devices that 5.1 runs like a bat out of Hell. Only when playing DVDs
with mplayer do I get slowdown, and it's my fault for using an
ancient video card.

There isn't a -STABLE branch for 5.1 yet because the maintainers don't
think 5.1 is ready for it. Be patient.

--
Matthew Graybosch
http://www.starbreaker.net

PS: If you want, I'll send copies of my kernel config and
/boot/loader.conf.